At 57 North, we have drawn on the best research available in financial science and thought about how we, as completely Independent Advisers, can use that evidence in a practical way to put our clients in the best possible position to have a successful investment experience.
However, it’s vital to remember that the investment itself is only one piece of the jigsaw.
For us, it’s the client that is the client – not the portfolio. We are fully aware that investors are human, and that sometimes our emotions can work against us.
Therefore, it’s our client’s goals and objectives that are the most important elements for us. We work hard to produce tailored solutions, and review them regularly, to ensure that client objectives are achieved.
It has been estimated that fewer than 10% of investment managers actually beat their benchmarks over the last 10 years or so*. Which may not matter. But as the ones who beat the benchmark in the previous decade were not always the same ones who did so in the next decade, it does make making long term investment choices a little trickier.
*Source – SPIVA
We don’t want to take on any additional risks with your money that we don’t need to. We control what we can control at 57 North and have a process that we can stand over, share, and be held accountable for:
- We believe in investing, not speculating. We are not day traders and will not be trying to position client portfolios for the next hour, day or even months ahead.
- We believe that financial markets are generally very efficient, as they utilise all available information and future expectations to set a price for any given security. Research shows that – over time – financial markets reward those who stay the course.
- We believe that it is part of our role to help our clients benefit from the rewards of the financial markets at the lowest cost commensurate with doing the right thing. Lower cost is a sensible objective, but we need to ensure that the overall portfolio delivers value as well.
- We observe that more complex solutions come with greater cost, yet with no evidence of superior returns. We will try to keep things as simple as we can.
- We believe that all costs and charges within a portfolio should be completely transparent.
- We believe the only ‘Free Lunch’ in investing is proper diversification. This includes diversification across asset types, countries, sectors, and risk premiums.
- Research tells us the majority of the returns within a portfolio come from setting the right asset allocation, having broad diversification, and being relatively low cost. It is all about “time in the market”, not “timing the market”. It is a matter of discipline.
See what our clients say
I was coming up to retirement and didn’t know what to do or what my options were. Daniel was excellent at explaining my current situation and how I could retire. It’s been an excellent service, and I couldn’t have done it without him. Great value for money.
Daniel calmly took me through the various scenarios and offered up a solution that met both my immediate, medium- and long-term requirements.
Daniel showed me ways to save and invest my money properly while still having enough to live an active life.
Daniel has assisted with all aspects of financial planning for retirement. We have found Daniel very approachable and have received very prompt and detailed responses to the advice we have sought from him.
I was looking to save for the future by investing my money in stocks and shares. Daniel and the team provided great support and guidance with my investment portfolio.
I would highly recommend your firm. I appreciate so much your liaising with other professionals such as lawyers and accountants on my behalf. I could not have managed without your whole team. Thank you all so much.
Expertise in financial management, a proven record of success, professionalism and trustworthiness.
Very easy to speak to and fairly simplistic and straightforward approach to financial planning. We have already recommended you to several friends.
I always feel confident that whatever advice I receive, it has been carefully considered to suit my individual circumstances. It is also comforting to know that if I have any worries I can pick up the phone and someone will be happy to help me.